Software Engineer Intern - Full Stack Web @ Plato - San Carlos, CA
Post a job for free in San Carlos, CA
Considering a gap semester/quarter or year? Looking for a summer internship?
We are a stealth startup building perception systems for autonomy. We are based in the San Francisco Bay Area, funded by NEA (https://www.nea.com/), and our core team includes faculty entrepreneurs (Stanford and UC Santa Barbara) and industry veterans (Uber, Apple, Amazon Lab126, Rohde & Schwarz), who have successfully shepherded signal processing and machine learning innovations to large-scale software for location improvement and safety at Uber, led the development of state-of-the-art computer vision technologies that shipped over millions of Amazon devices, and delivered zero-to-one product experiences at Uber and Box. Our core product grew out of 5+ years of university R&D by our co-founders. You can find out more about us by visiting our website (https://www.plato.systems/).
Our mission and team expertise spans beyond software to advanced sensor systems, algorithms, embedded systems, signal processing, and machine learning. Our team is building and deploying edge software and cloud services for real-time customer facing products as well as internal big data tools. We look for people with a depth of expertise and experience in one of these areas, and with the intellectual curiosity for interacting with, learning from, and teaching world-class experts in areas outside their expertise.
We currently have an exciting paid internship opportunity for full stack web application development in San Carlos, CA. You will join a multi-disciplinary group of scientists and engineers and will have the opportunity to collaborate with cross-functional product and research teams. An ideal candidate will have a proven track record of driving zero-to-one innovation for large-scale system projects.
- Work on web applications and cloud based back-end services.
- Contribute to the definition, development, integration, test, documentation, and support of software applications across multiple cloud and edge platforms.
- Work in a data driven environment, drive process improvement, and work with the stakeholders to translate high-level, ambiguous business goals to working software solutions.
- Contribute towards the software development as well as the architecture of software solutions.
- Ensure scalability, availability and data security for your services.
- Own, troubleshoot & resolve code defects.
- Implement best practices for software development and documentation, and making sure designs meet requirements.
- Implement test driven unit and end to end testing of any code you develop.
- Prepare technical requirements and software design specifications.
- Deliver high quality work under tight deadlines.
- Currently enrolled in or completed a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- 3+ months experience working on production software.
- Experience building production type software, leveraging basic OO design/development skills, and practicing solid documentation methods.
- Experience with at least one modern web application frontend and backend frameworks (Vue.js, ReactJS, Go net/http, gRPC, Express.JS, ...).
- Experienced with open-source technologies (including GNU/Linux, Bash/Zsh, Protocol Buffers).
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, e.g., S3, SQS, EC2, RDS, CloudFormation, Redshift or equivalent experience in Google Cloud, Azure or other.
- 1+ years experience working on production software.
- Experience with a client-server application model. Experience working with microservice architecture environments is a plus.
- Experience developing production web applications, preferably at a large-scale in high-traffic environments. Experience with full-stack production-grade web frameworks and tools are a plus, for example Node.js, React (and JSX), Webpack, SASS/Less.
- Experience successfully planning, organizing, and conducting software development projects in a dynamic environment. Experience with code review and task management processes are a plus.
- Hands-on experience with modern infrastructure technologies, such as Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, Vault, Packer, Spinnaker, Istio, and Envoy.
- Experience interacting with and managing databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, Cassandra, ...) and/or key-value stores. (e.g. Redis, memcached, …)
- Experience developing cloud software services and understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
- Experience defining, developing and maintaining web service API's.
- Experience supporting machine learning applications and data scientists.
- Ability to define system architecture and explore the feasibility of various designs.
- Experience with Big Data technologies, e.g., Hadoop, Spark, Flink, Hive, Kafka ...
- Likes California